Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Watch the Official Dota 2 Tournament Live!

Valve has announced that they will be streaming the International Dota 2 Championships live. Valve has put up a one million dollar cash prize for the victorious team. Given the fact that Valve is letting people play an unreleased game in a very public fashion, it could indicate that not only is the game probably finished, but also that Valve must be VERY confident with the game that they've made. And why shouldn't they be?
Dota 2 Championships Main Page

6 comments:

  1. Dota 2. Free to play. I'm calling it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know what? I didn't even think of that, but that seems like it would be a good idea on Valve's part. Make the game free, and then i bet they'd charge a small fee for different heroes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, its one of those tower defense games...?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to say that the technical genre name is MOBA- Multi-player Online Battle Arena. You choose a hero unit, then it sort of proceeds a bit like an RTS, sort of. I must admit that my understanding is not that great, and i think John Randall could elaborate a bit better, but he's not registered here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember playing one very similar to this...but, hell, if i can remember the name of it. It was mildly enjoyable. I can see how this can be a good free to play game, and you have to purchase heroes and shit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think DOTA was the origianl, and then Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends spun off of that. I agree that a free to play model seems to make the most sense

    ReplyDelete