Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Look Back At The Classics: Deus Ex

      With the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution just a couple days away, I thought it would be a good idea to go back and get some perspective by playing the original Deus Ex. Does it hold up to  today's standards? Or are opinions so tinted by rosy-colored lenses of nostalgia that the only way to find out is to have someone play it who's never played it before? Read on for my first-time impressions of what is widely regarded as one of PC gaming's brightest stars.

          When I first approached me about doing a review of the new Deus Ex game, i was understandably excited. "Of course I'll do it!" I said. "This game looks absolutely insane!" "Just one thing, though. Is it ok that I've never played the first two games?" That's when I saw an impish smile cross my face as I said, "Actually, I think that makes you a perfect person to write a feature I've been thinking about...."
          So here I am, playing through the original Deus Ex. Granted, I'm only about four to six hours through the game, but it's certainly been interesting. It's very difficult to come at a game like this, a game that has such a legendary reputation among PC gamers. The first thing that jumped out at me was DAYUM does this look old!!! Not surprising, considering that the game was released in 2000. Before i stated playing i had read a lot about people saying that "the graphics hold up really well" or "this game looks awesome!" or even better "BEST GAME EVARRRR!!11!" I'm here to say, folks, that this game looks like ass. Don't believe me?  Suck on this....

Is that scientists wearing jeans?!
 Don't get me wrong, this is by no means a judgment against the game as a whole, but let's cool it with the talking up the graphics, ok? I'm sure this game looked great back when it released (maybe), but come on. Look at that guys fucking face! I will say, however, that the terrible graphics really don't bother me too much once I get into the game. Maybe that's what everybody's on about....maybe they're confusing "the graphics still look good" with " I don't really notice how horrible the graphics are".  

             Anyway, the overall mechanics of this game are incredible! It really does feel like the developers design about four or five completely different ways for you to complete any given mission. This is fantastic, because it keeps the player from feeling like they're shoehorned into playing the game only one way.
This desk literally has nothing on it.
                                         
The game has an interesting way of reacting to your in-mission choices. For example, in one mission, I guess I shot some people. Whatever, they shot first. Anyway, I guess I shot them, a lot of them. So when I get back to home base, the quartermaster decides that because I did a little too much running and gunning on the last mission, he's not going to give me any extra bullets this time out. Something about needing to "concentrate less on killing". Little touches like these have popped up quite a few times so far, and it's just very nice to see  something like this from a game that's this old.
           I haven't really had a chance to play around too much with the Augmentation system, but it definitely looks cool. It reminds me of System Shock, in that you can modify your character in interesting and useful ways. This game has definitely gotten me excited to review Human Revolution in a couple days. Oh, and here's this too.
JC is happy! Or mad, i can't tell
                                         


1 comment:

  1. I've never played Deus Ex, either, but now I feel like I have read an article about someone who has. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete