Wednesday, December 28, 2011

KGB Game of the Year 2011: AGTurbo

It was tough for me to choose between Assassins Creed Revelations and Deus Ex Human Revolution. With great thought I give Assassins Creed Revelations my personal Game of the Year. Assassins Creed Revelations had a solid story, but the ending of how it finished the stories of Altair and Ezio was very fulfilling. The platforming missions are the best in the series. Of all the games I've played that ended with 3, and provided some closure to the main timeline of the series (Modern Warfare 3, Gears of War 3) Assassins Creed Revelations ending gets the edge. The additions such as the hookblade and bombcrafting made Revelations the most refined of the Assassins Creed games. Also the soundtrack of Assassins Creed Revelations composed by Jesper Kyd and Leorne Balfe of 80 tracks, for specific missions, the ending, and even the free roaming from one set of missions to another set of missions was scored individually. Revelations made me care for the characters Ezio and Altair and the ending as resonated with me so well I give Assassins Creed Revelations the Game of the Year.


For Runner Up it is Deus Ex Human Revolution. I wasn't excited for Deus Ex Human Revolution until I tagged along with another Omeganaut at PAX East for the Deus Ex panel. I was amazed at what I saw, and it made me interested for the game. Deus Ex Human Revolution did a great job of playing it different ways. You could be super stealthy, or kill everyone. The art design and the musical scoring by Michael McCann did a great job adding more ambiance. As a player you were never penalized for being stealthy. Also on my second playthrough playing stealth without killing anyone, I discovered new locations and areas I would have never traveled to if I tried to kill everyone. To me, Deus Ex Human Revolution felt like a spiritual successor to Hitman: Blood Money, which I love very much. The boss battles and the ending held it back for it being my GOTY.

     

3 comments:

  1. Turbo, you are literally the ONLY person I know who has given AC:R glowing praise. But I trust your judgement. The AC series is pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Chris. I've always meant to play beyond the first in the series, since it always gets praise, in general.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's $29.99 at Best Buy this week. $5 cheaper than the price during Black Friday.

    ReplyDelete