Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Hands on Second Impressions: Dragon's Dogma


Rock's had a chance to dig a bit deeper into Dragon's Dogma, and he's here with his thoughts on the first few hours of this highly anticipated (by him) game!


Hoo Boy! I've been waiting for this one for a long time!  Was it worth it? Well it's hard to say, as I'm only about five hours in right now, but so far I'm loving it!  Let's get into it, shall we?

The game starts off with me playing as a rather generic-looking fighter named Savan, with a pawn leading me through tight areas. This level serves mostly as a tutorial on some of the game's systems, and here is the first problem- the game has so much to teach you, sometimes it all comes a bit too fast.  I can definitely see some people being overwhelmed by this.  The level does a great job introducing you to combat, though, and showcases the different roles your pawns can play as well. The prologue reaches its climax with a fight against a Chimera, where you and your pawns must systematically destroy different parts of the beast.  This section is  a lot of fun, but it can be a bit glitchy at times.  It seems that the area is a bit too cramped for the Chimera, as I saw it get stuck  in small spaces more than a few times, which also affects the camera since I'm so close to the monster. Not really a big deal, but it's happened all three times I've played this segment.

After the Chimera falls, Savan is told about a prophecy and we are then whisked away to a character creation screen.  After making my incredibly dashing hero, the game proper starts, and this is where the awesome really begins to kick in! A dragon attacks my hometown and steals my effing heart, cursing me to come after him.  People keep calling me Arisen, and I don't know why. I assume I'll find out later.  The game looks absolutely gorgeous, with bright colors popping everywhere.  The fields and beaches are lush and beautiful by day, and definitely take on an air of foreboding by night. There's a bit of screen tearing during cutscenes, but it's not really a big deal. I've also encountered a fair bit of pop in, especially with items and NPCs.  Again, not a biggie, but worth mentioning, and I did make sure to install the game to my HDD. Before long, my pawn and I are cruising the area outside my village killing goblins and finding herbs for people back home.  As a Strider, my character's attacks come fast, with twin daggers twirling through the air.  The combat animations are slick as hell, and my character feels appropriately badass. A pawn's usefulness extends beyond combat, however.  As I travel around, my pawns are learning things about the environment.  They'll make suggestions about things that might be found in the area, or provide tips on how to proceed with a quest.  This is a really great feature, and I'm intensely interested to see how it grows as the game progresses!

What's the weak spot on a cyclops again?

I'm only just starting to unlock new skills and explore the wider world, so I'll wrap this up here. I'll do a full write up once I've finished the game, and I'm just oh-so excited to just dive in!






 

Rock is a level 7 Strider, but his real passion is theater...

No comments:

Post a Comment