Thursday, February 9, 2012

Nice Chat With a Nice Guy: An Interview with Hollander Cooper of GamesRadar


We've had our eye on Hollander Cooper ever since he became a regular on our favorite podcast, TalkRadar. And Coop was nice enough to sit down (at his computer) and have a pleasant little convo with us!  Hope you enjoy!


Q. First of all, can you give a brief background of your history in the industry? Tell our readers a little about yourself?

A. I actually got into the industry almost by a fluke – I had always wanted to write about games, but never had an outlet. I launched a website where I wrote about videogame poetry (it doesn’t exist anymore, don’t bother trying to find it), but it never took off. Eventually I heard about a local startup gaming website and threw myself at them until they accepted me. I stayed there for a while before moving into the freelance field, writing for a bunch of outlets and spending every waking hour writing.

Q. At what point in your life did you realize that you wanted to be a games journalist? 

A. When I realized I didn’t care about anything else. I was a decent writer who loved games and was enamored by the industry. Even before I wanted to write about games I was reading magazines and websites, talking about gaming all the time. I figured it was already who I was, so I might as well go with it.

Q. Can you share a funny or interesting story about being the "new guy" at GamesRadar? What has that overall experience been like?

A. It wasn’t bad, actually. The staff took to me quickly, likely because I forced them to, and the community accepted me.


Q. Do you have any idols in the industry whom it was a dream come true to meet/interview? Any whom you'd like to meet?

A. Cliché answers: Shigeru Miyamoto and Fumito Ueda

Q.  Can you share a funny or embarrassing story about any industry faux-pas you may have made in the past? Maybe an interview you bungled, or an industry figure that you unintentionally offended?

A. My very first on-camera interview was with Telltale games at PAX, and I’ll let the video do the talking:



Q. What is your favorite video game of all time?

A. Shadow of the Colossus. It’s just… the best. Ever.

Q. Since shortly after you started at Gamesradar, you've been a regular on the official podcast, Talkradar. Were you nervous? Did you have any podcasting experience before joining GamesRadar?

A. I actually ran a podcast called the Somethingcast (original!) for over 100 episodes, so I had experience, but yeah, it was a little weird. Luckily I don’t have the personality that allows me to be shy, so I just went all in and powered through.

Q. What is you're most anticipated came of 2012?

A. I think BioShock Infinite has to be, right? I mean, it’s sort of the game of 2012.

 


Q. On our site, we like to share stories of games that cause us unimaginable pain. Do you have a similar story you'd like to share?

A. As in physical pain? Because I got really angry while fighting the King Boo in Luigi’s Mansion and swung my arm really hard – it nicked the table and my knuckle started bleeding all over.
Or emotional pain? I cried a few times during Mother 3 because I’m a baby. Also during To The Moon.

Q. Do you have any plans to go to PAX East or E3 this year? If so, are there any games that you're excited to see there?

A. I hope I go to PAX. I love PAX. I might not make it to East but I really am hoping for Prime.
And yeah, I’ll be at E3, I hope. I’ve been to the last three or four and I’m never jaded by the experience. It’s amazing, everything I love about the industry shoved into one giant convention center.

Thanks a lot for agreeing to do this for us, Hollander!

You can find more of Hollander over at GamesRadar
Or follow him on Twitter @HollanderCooper






         

Rock loves being able to do stuff like this


8 comments:

  1. Man, that's why I never wanna do an on-camera interview.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah that was a little painful, though I highly doubt I'd do any better, if not worse!

      Delete
  2. Hollander is a good responder on twitter.

    He seems to be a cool dude and doesn't afraid of anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah he seems really cool! I'm definitely buying him a beer if I see him at Pax East!

      Delete
  3. If PAX East, we better hear something in the next 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. I haven't heard anything from anyone at GamesRadar, current or former, except for Lizzie. She asked on Facebook a few days ago who was going.

      Delete
    2. Brett is going with Capcom. Antista is trying to find a place to stay, and 3-day passes. Dan Amrich is going, as well.

      Delete
  4. Dan, Brett, and Lizzie for certain, but for anyone in the realm of Future US we have no idea. I'm staying with willyfresh992 6 miles away but the cost is free.

    ReplyDelete